ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE OCCASION OF THE OFFICIAL COMMISSIONING OF THE KASHIMBILLA MULTIPURPOSE DAM, 40MW HYDROPOWER STATION AND ASSOCIATED 132KV SWITCHYARD, TRANSMISSION LINE AND DISTRIBUTION SUBSTATIONS (PHASE I) AT THE KASHIMBILA DAM SITE IN TARABA STATE THURSDAY, 18TH MAY, 2023
I am delighted to BE commissioning today, the Kashimbila Multipurpose Dam, 40MW Hydropower Station and Associated 132KV Switchyard, Transmission Line and Distribution Substation (Phase I) Project.
2. The Kashimbila Multipurpose Dam in Taraba State, with storage capacity of 500million cubic metres, was conceived principally to checkmate the threat of the imminent collapse of the structurally weak and poisonous Lake Nyos, located at the line of volcanic activities in Cameroun Republic, which collapse could result in flooding and affecting millions of lives and properties.
3. Even though the Dam was meant to serve as a buffer to contain possible discharge of water of Lake Nyos, the engineering design maximized the benefits of the Kashimbila ecosystem by incorporating a 40MW Hydropower Station, 60,000 cubic metre per day Water Supply Scheme, 2,000 hectares of Irrigation System, an airstrip, fishing activities and tourism potentials.
4. This is Phase – 1 of the Power Evacuation Component of the Project comprising the 132KV Switchyard, four (4) Substations at Takum, Wukari, Rafin Kada, Donga and rehabilitation of existing 132KV Yandev substation, 245km, 132KV Double Circuits line from Kashimbila to Takum, Wukari, Yandev, and 45KM of 33kv Double Circuits line from Wukari to Donga through Rafin Kada.
5. I understand that the Water Supply component that is intended to service Takum and environs has reached about 65% progress, while the engineering design for the 2000 Hectare Irrigation Scheme has been fully completed, and physical works will commence in due course.
6. The implementation of projects like this is in accordance with our policies, aimed at lifting Nigerians out of poverty, creating jobs, providing healthcare and improving the general standard of living of Nigerians.
7. The realization of this project demonstrates our commitment to achieving the target of Electricity Vision 30:30:30, which entails the supply of 30GW of electricity by the 2030 with renewable energy contributing at least 30% to the energy mix to accelerate the increase in access to electricity.
8. Nigerians should also note that other similar projects such as the 40MW Dadinkowa Hydropower Plant in Gombe State and the 700MW Zungeru Hydropower Plant in Niger State are also ready for commissioning.
9. I wish to commend the collaboration of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and the Federal Ministry of Power in delivering the Kashimbila Project, and I look forward to more collaborations among Ministries, Departments and Agencies in Infrastructure Development. Let me also commend the efforts of the respective Ministers for the successful delivery of this Dam and Hydropower Project.
10. I also praise and commend the host communities and the people affected by the Kashimbila Multipurpose Dam Project for their cooperation, understanding and support towards the implementation of this major project.
11. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my utmost pleasure now to commission the Kashimbila Multipurpose Dam, 40MW Hydropower Station and Associated 132KV Switchyard, Transmission Line and Distribution Substation (Phase -1) and invite the Governor of Taraba State, His Excellency Darius Ishaku to unveil the project on my behalf.
12. Thank you all and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.